Halloween can be the most stressful holiday of the year for dogs. With all the noisy decorations, parties, fireworks, and people coming to the door, knocking, ringing the bell, and yelling, “Trick-or-treat!” your dog can start to feel very anxious, especially if they’re already prone to noise anxiety.
This year may be different, but it’s still good to be prepared to keep your dogs safe and happy. Here are a few strategies to keep your dogs calm during all the Halloween stress:
- CBD for Pets. Make sure you’re stocked up on our Canna9 CBD oil & BullyBits treats. CBD is very effective in helping to manage our pets’ anxiety. Read more here.
- Exercise beforehand to tire them out so they can rest easier. Exercise also releases serotonin which will help them to manage their fear.
- Keep them indoors in a secure place. Make sure they are comfortable and have somewhere to lay down. If you are expecting trick or treaters consider a room that is away from the door if possible. Also, ensure to check on them regularly and give them an opportunity for a bathroom break if they’re going to be in there for several hours.
- Consider the noise. Maybe turn on a TV or play some soothing music to filter out the noisy sounds from outside.
- Inform your guests. If you’re planning to have people over make sure they know where your pets are so they do not disturb them.
At Envy, we love our pets and it’s so important to keep our pets safe and calm during stressful times of the year. Noise anxiety isn’t the only thing we should be thinking about during the Halloween season. Make sure to keep any treats particularly chocolates, out of their reach. Here are a few other things to keep in mind.
- Keep (human) treats out of reach.
- If they’re going to be around food, make sure they are well fed beforehand,
- Make sure their leash or harness is well secured.
- Don’t add extra stress by forcing them to wear a costume. If you do put them in a costume, make sure it fits comfortably.
If you have any other suggestions to manage Halloween stress for our dogs let us know in the comments or tag us in your tips on social media @bully_bits.