Vegan Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
Everyone needs a vegan mac and cheese recipe in their back pocket! This amazing vegan mac and cheese recipe is made with butternut squash and just as tasty as your traditional Mac and Cheese. All those who are vegan or dairy-free need to give it a try. Michelle Garland makes this recipe extra special by adding Miss Envy’s cannabis coconut oil (up to you to decide between the THC or CBD version).
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
For the Butternut Squash:
For the Cheese Sauce:
1 cup roasted butternut squash
2 tbsp Miss Envy coconut oil, melted
1 cup nut milk of choice
4 tbsp nutritional yeast
2 garlic cloves
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp paprika
pinch cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste
For the Pasta:
2 cups noodle of choice
1/4 cup pasta water *once the pasta is done cooking, save 1/4 of the water
Fresh herbs to top (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lightly spread Miss Envy coconut oil onto the orange flesh of each squash. Garnish with salt and pepper. Place the halves cut-side down on the baking sheet. Roast for about 45 minutes, uncovered until a fork easily slides through.
- When there are about 20 minutes left of the squash’s roasting time, cook the pasta according to the package directions. Reserve 1/4 cup pasta water, then drain and set aside.
- After the squash is finished cooking, flip it flesh-side up and let cool for 10 minutes before handling.
- In a blender, add the cheese sauce ingredients along with 1 cup of the roasted squash. Blend on high until smooth.
- Add the cooked and drained pasta back into the pot with the 1/4 cup pasta water and cheese sauce. *Pasta water is key to help thicken the sauce.
- Mix everything together, add herbs for garnish, serve and enjoy!
Vegan Mac and Cheese Recipe made by
Michelle Garland, CNP
Plentyfullme Nutrition + Lifestyle Consulting